Kindergarten & Lower School
Here you will find information about the Kindergarten and Lower School application process. You can download all of the Lower School application forms, find answers to frequently asked questions, and view a timeline of the Lower School application process.
- Our Kindergarten is located at 124 Henry Street, about two blocks from our main building.
- In addition to the children rising from our own preschool, we admit around 30 children into the kindergarten bringing total enrollment to 60.
- To apply to the kindergarten, a child must turn 5 by September 1 of the entry year.
- There are 3 classrooms with 20 students and 2 full-time teachers (a head teacher and an associate teacher). Kindergarten students participate in 7 different specialty subjects mostly in half groups; thus, at these times, the student to teacher ratio in the home-classroom is 5:1.
- To learn more about our kindergarten program click here.
- Our Lower School (grades 1-3) is located in the Farber Building at 153 Pierrepont Street, one block from our main building.
- We admit around 20 children into the first grade bringing the total first grade enrollment to 80. Openings after first grade occur only by attrition.
- To apply to the first grade, a child must turn 6 by September 1 of the entry year.
- There are 4 classrooms per grade in grades 1-3. As in kindergarten, there is a master teacher and an associate teacher in each classroom. By third grade the children are participating in as many as 11 different specialty subjects in half groups. This, in turn, means there is even more opportunity for small group work when only half the class is in the home-classroom and the ratio of students to teachers is reduced to 5:1.
- To learn more about our Lower School program click here.
Virtual Open Houses for Kindergarten and First Grade Families
- We will be hosting virtual information sessions for applicant parents of young children on a few evening dates in the fall and early winter. Each session will follow a webinar format and will be an opportunity to learn about our school’s philosophy, program and community. During a typical open house you will have the chance to hear from our Head of School as well as from our Kindergarten and Lower School division heads. We devote a portion of each event to a Q&A. You can sign up for a virtual open house at any point in the application process by going here. We strongly encourage all Kindergarten applicants to attend an Open House.
Virtual Open Houses on Diversity and Institutional Equity
- We will be hosting two virtual open houses on diversity and institutional equity for families interested in learning more about our school’s approach to this work. These events will also follow a webinar format and are open to families applying to any/all grades. You can sign up for a virtual open house at any point in the application process by going here.
Kindergarten and First Grade Application Requirements
1) Submit an application using our online admissions portal:
- The application deadline for Kindergarten is October 1, 2021. The application deadline for 1st grade is November 1, 2021.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $100 for both grades.
- Important note for Kindergarten applicants: If, at any point prior to the application deadline, the number of applicants exceeds the number of interview hours that we have available, we will have to stop processing applications. In the event of an early closure, applications will be added to a wait pool up until the original deadline.
2) Child Interview:
- Kindergarten applicants* and 1st grade applicants will have a one-on-one interview with a member of our admissions staff. We will be conducting in-person interviews for this age group. Each interview will last approximately 30 minutes. Once your application has been received, you will receive information on how to schedule the child’s interview.
- *Please note: In the event of an early closure for kindergarten applications, families who submit their application after the early closure date but prior to the original October 1st deadline will be placed in a wait pool and invited to schedule an interview if we are able to expand our interview calendar.
We have incorporated the following safety protocols into our in-person process to safeguard everyone’s health:
- All Saint Ann’s faculty and staff have been vaccinated against COVID-19.
- We will have universal masking in all our buildings.
- The admissions office is located in a building separate from the majority of classroom space and it is not densely populated.
- We will ask that only one adult accompany each child to the interview appointment and we will require proof of vaccination for that adult to enter the building.
- There will only be one child in the admissions suite at a time with no overlap between appointments.
- The interview space is well ventilated and spacious. The table where we meet will be cleaned between each appointment.
- If a child is symptomatic on the day of the interview, we will need to cancel the appointment and will make every effort to reschedule.
We feel confident that by taking these measures we can safely meet with each of our young applicants and get to know them in person; we’re really looking forward to it!
3) Parent/Guardian Interview:
- Parent interviews will be conducted virtually and will be scheduled separately from the child’s interview. These interviews will last 15 minutes and will provide an opportunity for parents/guardians to ask questions about the school as well as for the interviewer to learn more about their child and their family. Once your application has been received, you will receive information on how to schedule the parent interview.
4) Ask your child’s current classroom teacher to complete an ISAAGNY Teacher Evaluation Form and email an electronic copy to us at email@example.com by January 7, 2022.
Kindergarten decisions will be emailed on Thursday, February 3, 2022.
1st grade decisions will be emailed on Tuesday, February 8, 2022.
Admission to the 2nd and 3rd grades is possible only if there is attrition. If you would like to submit an application and some basic information about your child, we will process the materials and contact you if space arises and we’d like to schedule an interview. Please follow the steps below to complete the process.
1) Submit an application using our online admissions portal by November 15, 2021. There is no fee to apply.
2) Give the Records Release Form to your child’s current school
- The school should email your child’s most recent school reports/transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 7, 2022.
3) Give the Lower School Teacher Evaluation to your child’s current teacher.
- Once your child’s teacher has had sufficient time to get to know your child, they school should fill out and email the evaluation to email@example.com by January 7, 2022.
2nd/3rd grade decisions will be emailed on February 8, 2021.